Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Green Team and Collaborative Consumption

I mentioned earlier that that we moved into an environmental topic with the introduction of the concept of collaborative consumption. We decided to bring it into our school and hopefully, change some things and make the school more environmentally conscious. However, that wasn't going to happen unless we changed ourselves first. Once we embarked on this project, the first thing I did was buy myself my own BPA free water bottle. Like many people, I'm the kind of person that grabs a plastic water bottle every day before leaving the house. But these bottles are so unnecessary and even unhealthy! 

Around the house, I've become more conscious of all the waste leaving the house. At times, there have been instances when I throw everything in the trash just out of pure laziness. Now, I try to force everyone in my family to realize what they're doing. My attitude towards recycling has changed because I was always just thinking of changing myself before. Now, I'm taking steps to actually do things. 

In class, I've learned so much with all the TED Talks and I've been inspired by the things that other people do. The process we're going through to change our school is progressing a little at a time. The Collaborative Consumption team and the Green Team are working really well to implement these changes and I can't wait to see the results. However, its still in progress and I don't feel like I've accomplished anything yet. 

I've been a part of the Collaborative Consumption team and I've been more focused on forming letters to send to administrators and the principal. We don't have the authority to do anything yet without the permission of the administrators and its important to get them to take us seriously with the ideas that we have. That's why a couple of students from our class, including me, are interested in the board meeting. We want to talk to the adults and get them to understand us. 

I feel like the experiences we get now are the kinds of things that would last us a lifetime. I see myself using these skills later and passing them down. The videos and discussions we have in class are amazing. The video we watched in class on Tiny Homes completely blew my mind and this something that I want to definitely try in the near future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment